AB DOLLY EXERCISES
The Ab Dolly is an exciting fitness apparatus that produces movements in numerous directions therefore utilizes many different muscle groups at a time and maximizing your results. These movements have been identified by various hard-core fitness instructors and aerobics as the most suitable ways to strengthen, train and tone your abs.
The ab dolly can be used to perform a variety of exercises depending on your fitness level. With the wide range of motion it produces, you can select your own exercises, tone your abs however you desire and derive an overall good-looking, toned abs.
1. AB DOLLY KNEE ROLL OUT
This is an upper body exercise that is performed while kneeling and focuses mainly on your abdominal muscles and lower back. Excellent for strengthening the core muscles
– Place the ab dolly on the floor in front of you
– While kneeling, place your forearms on the dolly
– Slowly roll forward going as far as you can while keeping your spine straight
– Hold position for 2 seconds then return to original position.
– Include an exercise mat or knee pad to cushion your knees
– Watch out for pain in your abs and reduce the roll out distance as appropriate
– During the exercise, do not curve your back. Always tighten your stomach muscles.
– Avoid setting off movement with your shoulders.
– Try to inhale while rolling forward and exhale while returning to starting position
– Attempt moving in all types of direction to stimulate your entire abs, for example try rolling back and forth to the right and left while keeping your upper body centered.
– You can also start by pushing towards your left, returning to start position, then push forward and return to start position and then push right and return to start position ( this is called the three way roll out)
2. AB DOLLY PLANK TO PIKES
This exercise focuses on your abdominal muscles as well as your triceps, your shoulders and lats.
– Start in the plank position by placing your forearms on the ab dolly, with your elbows directly beneath your shoulders and keep your feet hip-wide from each other.
– Lift your entire body on your toes while keeping it in a straight line form your shoulders to your ankles
– Tighten your abdominal muscle and gently raise your hips in the air while rolling backwards
– Keep your hips as high as possible until you can feel yourself folded into an inverted v shape
– Pause for about 2 seconds and then slowly lower back into the starting position.
– Try to hold your shoulder blades down without allowing them to lift up
– Ensure you squeeze in your navel to engage a strong core and maintain stability
– Avoid curving your back or bending your knees
3. AB DOLLY KNEE TUCK
This exercise is designed to target your entire core, your butt and your quads. Somewhat similar to the plank to pikes but simpler.
– Kneel on the ab dolly and place your hands shoulder-width apart on the floor.
– Squeeze in your abs and keep your back straight
– While inhaling, pull the ab dolly forward by bringing your knee towards your chest
– Maintain position for 2 seconds
– Then push back towards starting position while exhaling
– Avoid curving your back or bending your arms
– Be sure to tighten your abs like you are sucking it into your spine
– Explore other directions by extending your arms to left instead of directly in front of you and then pushing the ab dolly back and forth with your knee. Repeat same while keeping your arms towards the right.
4. AB DOLLY WALKING PLANK
This exercise is really exciting and one you would always want to include in your daily routine. It strengthens your core and ensures stability.
– Start by placing your toes on the ab dolly and your hands extended on the floor in front of you.
– Tighten your abs and lift your hips upward while keeping your back straight
-With your hands, walk across the room moving the ab dolly with you
– Walk your desired distance and return to starting position
– Ensure you tighten your abs and avoid bending your back
– Be sure you have enough room to move about and keep dangerous equipment away to avoid tripping
– Walk in different directions to engage the entire abdominal muscles
5. AB DOLLY OBLIQUE TUCK
This is similar to the knee tuck but deeply engages your muscle and trains muscles for stability.
– Place your feet on the dolly and maintain the plank position (keep your elbows directly under your shoulder while keeping straightening your spine)
– Move the dolly forward by bringing up your knees in towards your right elbow.
– Hold for a second and roll back to starting position
– Hold for another second, then roll forward towards left elbow
– Extend back towards the plank position
– Ensure your upper body is kept straight and avoid bending your back
– Inhale while you roll in and exhale while going back to starting position
– Practise breathing in through your nose and exhale from your mouth.
– It is advised that each ab dolly exercise be performed starting with a duration of 30 seconds or two sets of 10 repetitions and then increasing the duration and adding more sets as muscles become strengthened and properly trained.
– Always exercise in athletic shoes and preferably light clothing. Do not exercise barefoot.
– Examine your ab dolly properly before use and ensure all the parts are in place and functioning well.
– Stop exercises immediately and consult your doctor if you feel any abnormal or excess stress or pain.
– Design your own regular schedule to exercise with your ab dolly, avoid inconsistency. Note that with just 3 minutes a day, you can tone and define your abs, hip, shoulder and arm muscles to be in the best desired shape.
– It is recommended that you start out some of the exercises by placing your forearms on the ab dolly and as you progress, you can place only your hands.